Industry research revealed that one-third of UK holiday homeowners have the wrong insurance—mistakenly believing that a main residence policy will cover their holiday home.
As the holiday season comes to an end, holiday homeowners must prepare their second homes for the winter.
However, most home policies do not include cover for holiday homes and deem them as too risky, since owners leave them unattended for months at a time, exposing them to theft, potential loss of rental income and more. The only guaranteed way to protect your holiday home is by purchasing bespoke insurance.
Holiday Home Insurance
Make sure your cover includes:
- Building cover: In addition to the main property, this provides cover for outbuildings, swimming pools, tennis courts, etc.
- Contents cover: This provides cover for the personal effects of your home.
- Liability cover: This provides cover in the event that a guest, gardener or seasonal tenant is injured on the property.
Along with purchasing bespoke cover, perform the following maintenance to ensure your holiday home stays safe:
- Turn off the utilities: Turn off the water and gas, and unplug all electronic devices. If your home has an electric heater, set the temperature to 12C.
- Winterise the home’s pipes and exterior: Ensure that all the waterlines are drained and the pipes are properly insulated. Inspect the seals around windows and doors for any leaks, and have the gutters cleaned.
- Lock up valuables: Perform maintenance on vehicles before securely locking them away. Store any valuables away from windows.
- Schedule lawn maintenance: Have any nearby trees trimmed, any garden tools securely stored and the lawn mowed.
- Activate security devices: Make sure the home is fitted with security devices such as alarms and window locks to deter theft.
Each holiday home is unique, making bespoke cover a vital piece of protection. For more information on protecting your holiday home, contact us today.
Legal Specific Disclaimer:
The following information is not exhaustive, nor does it apply to specific circumstances. The content therefore should not be regarded as constituting legal or regulatory advice and not be relied upon as such. Readers should contact a legal or regulatory professional for appropriate advice. Further, the law may have changed since the first publication of this information.
The content of this Cover Overview is of general interest and is not intended to apply to specific circumstances. It does not purport to be a comprehensive analysis of all matters relevant to its subject matter. The content should not, therefore, be regarded as constituting legal advice and not be relied upon as such. In relation to any particular problem which they may have, readers are advised to seek specific advice. Further, the law may have changed since first publication and the reader is cautioned accordingly. © 2022 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.